Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: I'm new to this

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dirty42's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2000
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just purchased a Canon Zoom 518 Super 8 camera on Ebay. I have a few rolls of Tri-X and a splicer that my Dad found in his closet, and I think he has a projector too. Now that I've got batteries in the camera though (and I'm pretty sure they're the right ones) I can't get it to run. I think this is probably my fault and not the camera's. It has no manual, so can anyone out there help me out. I feel like a moron, but I guess I have to learn sometime.

    I'd appreciate any advice, but especially if you have some experience with a similar camera. Thanks.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First, the obvious: Make sure the camera is on. On some Canons, there is a knob that must be turned to "R" for Run.

    Also, here's something from Martin Baumgarten's site -- at http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/ServicesPage8.html -- which may be useful.

    --------------------------

    ~~>Non-Working SUPER 8mm Cameras, How to Double Check <~~

    ---> Well, don't chuck them! You could sell them as non-working cameras if you had to. Anyhow....batteries are fresh, right? Are contacts are clean? I'm assuming this much you have double checked. Often....if a Super 8 camera is going to jam, it will be at the slowest running speeds.


    CHECKLIST:

    (1). Cameras should run regardless if there's film in there or not......make sure you have fresh batteries, or use optional power source. Try turning on/off power switch a few times to see if the problem might lie in it.


    (2). Set the camera at a normal running speed (18fps or 24fps), and operate the trigger, and at the same time, if it doesn't operate, gently, but firmly, wrap the palm of your hand against the side of the camera's right side as you're holding it. Do this a couple of times.


    (3). If still no go, then open the camera, and while depressing the trigger, move the pull-down claw downwards using your fingernail, and/or try turning the film core drive counterclockwise.....if still no go......try wrapping on the camera's side again, firmly, but don't pound on it.


    (4). If still no go, then place the camera in a sunny spot to allow it to become quite warm.....just for a little while...not for hours! Then repeat all above steps again.


    ---> If the camera still won't come alive...then it will have to be serviced by a technician. The problem could be a jammed linkage or drive gear, or poor power connection internally somewhere. Of course...this could be very expensive and may not be worth it. You could then sell the camera as a non-working camera to someone on Ebay that just might be looking for a parts camera, since they decided to tinker on theirs themselves etc.


    ---> I hope the above helps....and hopefully you are able to get either camera running again. With so many Super 8 cameras out there....I would consider hunting around, and buying a few extra cameras for as low as you can find them, that way you'd always have a backup. It is sad to see equipment nonfunctional....but the high repair costs affect still cameras also....which often due to a lower second-hand value....aren't worth spending the high dollars on to have them repaired.....not when you consider you can find another for much less than the repair costs. The problem is...where does it end? Using this method, one can very well end up with many nonfunctioning cameras in the course of time! Anyhow, good luck, keep Super 8 fun and as low cost as possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •